THE REFEREE RECOGNITION AWARDS 2023
From the heart of the action, to the centre of the stage. Nominate your ref heroes today
It’s time to celebrate the referees whose unique contribution makes such a difference to our game, clubs and communities.
Nominate a referee who’s impressed you this season, and they could carry home one of 12 national awards in the first ever national Referee Recognition Awards.
You can nominate as many referees in as many categories as you want. Just tell us why you think they should win, and we’ll take care of the rest!
Nominate today to recognise football’s fantastic referees!
• Who has made an outstanding contribution to refereeing through their influence, support, administration, advocacy, or other positive action?
• Will be won by someone in the refereeing community who has helped to create a positive football environment for other officials.
• Who has made a career-long contribution to refereeing, creating a legacy of improved outcomes for individuals, communities, and the wider population?
• Will be won by someone in the refereeing community who has made an outstanding contribution to the development, administration and servicing of officiating.
This award is one of the highest honours within refereeing. It is a recognition of the winners’ lifetime of work and contributions.
• Who's actions, empathy, support or unstinting efforts have significantly helped an individual person, or people in their community?
• Will be won by a referee, official or group who:
- is a pillar of their local community
- other referees relate to, and seek and receive advice from
- who may be doing this while suffering adversity themselves
- is an initiative which exemplifies all the above.
This award recognises an individual, group or initiative that has engaged and promoted refereeing to historically under-represented communities.
• Who consistently goes above and beyond expectations to ensure refereeing is a motivating, welcoming and inclusive environment for referees?
• Will be won by a referee who inspires and engages others, and has a 'can do' attitude that has overcome unprecedented challenges.
This award recognises someone who works tirelessly to support referees, parents/carers and volunteers and positively impacts the referees’ culture and environment.
• Will be won by a new referee or official who has made a positive difference in a short space of time.
The panel would be particularly pleased to hear directly from young people.
• Who has demonstrated tireless commitment to making mental health conversations normal and every day?
• Will be won by someone from the refereeing community whose actions raise awareness of mental health, who challenges the stigma around the issue, and who signposts to relevant support.
• Who has demonstrated exceptional leadership, integrity, and dedication to their community?
• Will be won by someone from the refereeing community who serves as positive and inspiring example for others, and has made a meaningful impact on their lives.
The panel would be pleased to hear directly from people from historically underrepresented groups.
• Will be won by someone from the refereeing community who works tirelessly behind the scenes, making a positive impact to the lives of others.
• Will be won by someone from the refereeing community who consistently displays a high level of skill, fairness, and professionalism.
This award is nominated by a team or club.
• Will be won by a team, club or league who shows respect and cultivates a positive, safe environment for match officials to learn, grow and develop.
• Who has demonstrated outstanding dedication, commitment and service as a volunteer in support a cause, organisation, or community?
• Will be won by a volunteer who has had a significant and measurable impact on the referee community through outstanding efforts.
This award could include nominations from the observer, mentor, coaching or appointing workforce and parent/carers.